Ahhhh—potato salad. The quintessential BBQ side dish. Yum-O!
I gave up potato salad long ago because dairy and I don’t mix. (You can read all about that here.)
Also, let’s get real. Have you ever tasted store-bought potato salad? It tastes like mayonnaise with mashed potatoes in it. Yuck!
One time I caught my husband rinsing the store-bought potato salad in a colander to get some of the mayonnaise OFF because it was saturated. I never bought potato salad again.
But I missed it…
There must be a way to make potato salad without the fat-laden, chemically preserved mayonnaise.
Lucky for you, my friend, there is. Enjoy!
- 3 pounds organic red potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dill, minced
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil (unrefined is best)
- 4 tablespoons flax seed oil
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Himalayan salt
- Boil potatoes until soft (approximately 20 minutes), drain and let cool.
- Once potatoes are cool, combine remaining salad ingredients.
- Mix together dressing ingredients and pour over salad.
- Let chill for 4 hours before serving.